Ambiguous Autumn: in Yellow, Brown and Green (1)



Well, with age, one does get a tad blasé about yet another blazing summer, yet another sprightly spring etc. Those eternally returning budding trees and buzzing bees. But I would never want to miss yet another Autumn. I’ve already (see above) sung the praise of its soothing greys, but then, there’s still Autumn’s glorious light, its glorious colours, and ah the glorious chaos of leaves set loose!




Over the years I’ve taken quite some autumn pics – the above is a November 1998 favorite. It was a Sunday, and I remember I was feeling drowsy and weak, what with an upcoming cold and a dreaded workweek ahead. But I did manage to kick myself out of the door for a reluctant autumn walk. And alongside a busy road, there was this closed up mansion, with its grey stones looking even more precarious than the brilliantly yellow leaves of the old trees in the garden. I shot pics feverishly, holding the camera between the bars of the rusty iron gate. Even now I still remember the rush of happiness.






A neo-classicist’s autumn.


Nothing like neo-classical pilasters and statues amidst autumn leaves . Not sure it’s a very PMC (PostModern-ly Correct) taste , but I just love these 19th C parks in autumn …













A Reluctant Romantic’s Autumn


(“what is the late November doing with the disturbance of the spring” – TS Eliot)














A Barking-up-Trees Autumn
















A cyclist’s autumn

the crispy crackling of leaves under one's bike’s wheels …. or the swooshy wooshing through gleaming wet leaves.









(1) and see here for some really slow, sad but golden light


2 comments:

Roxana said...

exquisite, let me tell this again...

[and thank you so much for linking my gold, thank you]

Roxana said...

oh fff, you and all the other people leaving comments there, writing to me, you make my absence awfully hard, you know? :-)
I am so touched by your words, you've always known the right words for me...
It's just that I need a little silence, to sort some things out for me, yes, to find a motivation again - maybe I will open the blog soon, or next year, I don't know. I will miss you too much if I don't :-)